Sunday, May 10, 2020

SHIRLEY'S WEEKLY REPORT

(This week's 1000 piece puzzle...and I tried to spin it around but failed.)

1) This week of isolation -- I've moved past anger, fear, and  blame and into acceptance. Extended quarantine must be good for something and I choose to believe it forces me to look a little deeper and assess priorities. (Can you tell that I'm 3 sessions into my Yale Happy Class?) I'm inside myself somewhere, wallowing around in those questions that we share (that's why we're friends?): why am I here? what do I care about? has my life been one of worthy pursuits? will my passing matter to anybody (excluding my kids...for a few years anyway)? how do I define "happy" -- and does it matter that my definition is totally different from anybody else's? 

And the big one:  CAN I EVER RESUME SMOKING? 

2) Homework for the week: keep a "Gratitude Journal." Write a list of at least 5 things. Science shows that writing the list actually makes you happier for longer than say...chocolate...maybe sex... but I think that depends on the partner. I begin with a) I am grateful that I can actually walk a mile with my dogs nearly every day without falling over in a heap! This is pure luck. My arthritis hasn't attacked my knees. Osteoporosis hasn't flattened me on my back....unlike many people my age.  And there it is....luck! The Yale professor hasn't factored that in but it's BIG! So....I am grateful for PURE, DUMB, I-WAS-TAPPED-ON-THE-SHOULDER LUCK!!! (And exclamation points....I love exclamation points.)

3) Has anybody else noticed that you don't need wrist watches any more?  Are they going the way of movie theaters, a slide hastened by Covid-19?

4) I pulled the plug on the second hole and I'm not looking back. Before "the troubles," my daughter took me to the mall to have second piercings in my ear lobes. I thought I needed to look more "hip" ( does anybody ever use that word?) and also I wanted to wear my small-but-perfect-diamond studs with other arty earrings. Weeks of dabbing and twisting that little "surgical post," I faced up finally....the holes are too close together. So I've given up on the whole project. Here's the "Happy lesson": I don't care one whit about the damned earrings....I did so enjoy laughing and joking about the experience with Heidi....which brings me to "Happy Class" again....Forget the stuff and shoot for the experience. 

Another week down.  We had snow here in Upstate New York but I actually cooked a good dinner last night and I'm pretty sure that next week will be better. Call it "optimism"...or happy.

Take care of yourselves and WASH YOUR HANDS!

3 comments:

Pat Pauly said...

Glad to have you writing. Takes me out of me for that brief moment. Thanks.

Sandy Miller said...

Oh for the love of blogging! I am noticing many of us still blogging away through this pandemic are blogging about the same topics..... time, not needing a watch etc. the commonality is amusing. I am also becoming aware some of us are doing OK and others are not. Some of my favorite bloggers who had resigned from blogging have now resurfaced, I am delighted! (Because it is all about me 🤣).

Very jealous of your good knees! Be well..... today the sun finally came out and the snow has ceased ....... at least for a bit!

Victoria said...

My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.