Saturday, October 29, 2011

EXTREME MATERIALS II and MORE MAG




Yesterday I toured “Extreme Materials II” at Memorial Art Gallery. Putting words to intuition is my challenge and frankly, my intuition after this viewing was “ho hum, you really can’t go home again.” I remember writing a rave review of the first “Extreme,” a show that revealed a light-hearted soul. For the most part, the current show just tries too hard – and mostly fails.

There are the usual pieces trying to shock - a dress made out of condoms, a cake made out of tampons, a “drawing” made with blood. Sorry. Been there/seen that. The single piece that did move me was a pearl bonnet made from millions of corsage pins. Angela Ellsworth, its creator, grew up a Mormon, and WOW! Does this piece ever speak loud and clear about the restraints of women, particularly in that society.

Mostly, after reading the art review in City Newspaper, I really wanted to see Jennifer Angus’ installation “Creature Comforts.” This installation fills the entire Lockhart Gallery space with wall drawings (note: drawing medium: dead bugs.) The City reviewer wondered how people could voice such outrage over Otterness’ misstep (see previous blog entry) but casually accept this dead bug creation. Are puppies more important than bugs? Is there a hierarchy that dictates which killing is acceptable and why?

WELL!! This does illicit some soul searching! How do we feel about killing … anything?

I admit that without so much as a qualm, I swat flies, mosquitoes, and set traps for mice in my attic. These guys are fine in their own space but not in mine. I’ve recently given up eating meat products, not because of some enlightened political awareness of the cruelty being inflicted in this industry but because I’ve become convinced that my own health will improve with a “green diet.”

As for Jennifer Angus’ bugs, her effort leaves me dismally unmoved. I cannot call it art. Maybe it illustrates a certain craftsmanship like stenciling or beadwork or…something. Pinning bugs to a background is hardly new; Victorians did it all the time. Visit any natural museum to come away awed by the beauty and variety of insects.

So I’m back to the original question: because Angus’ installation is NOT art but simply arrangement and Otterness did his dirty deed in the name of ART (CAPITAL LETTERS), it seems to me that yes, there is a difference. Is this dishonest? Am I just moving the rules around? These thoughts flew around my brain at 3 o’clock this morning.

And then, PRESTO FIXO, ten minutes ago, an email came to me with these Otterness images of some of his current work and I know what it is about him that disturbs me most: I just don’t believe he regrets shooting that dog!

Call it whatever you want, meanness and torture in the name of art is still meanness and torture.

1 comment:

The Shoe Horn said...

Hi! I like your blog! I put a link to it on our new blog for The Shoe Factory Art Co-op called "The Shoe Horn". http://theshoefactory.blogspot.com/
Keep on writing!